Thursday 29 March 2012

Parcel Force



Now my memory's a bit like a sieve, and even though I love new cooking sensation Rachael Khoo, I keep forgetting when her show is on TV, so have been catching up on Iplayer. I really like this new kid on the block- she seems to know what she is talking about, but more importantly has fun with food. Yesterday I caught up with Monday's episode, and almost fell off my chair when she made my one of my favourite dishes- 'Truite en papillote' or Trout in a Parcel. 

Now, I'm a big fan of the parcel cooking- or cooking fish/ veg/ meat in wrapped foil or paper. I remember watching Jamie Oliver doing this back in his very early Naked Chef days and I've been hooked ever since. It is such a great way of retaining natural juices and allows the food to be massaged by heat rather than in a crazy attack of fire. 

Now Ms Khoo made a great little parcel, and I'm telling you I could practically taste the flavours through the TV- she just added a little lemon zest, olive oil, salt and pepper. Now, I'm spicing mine up a bit, but really go with with ever takes your fancy. In addition to those ingredients, I added some garlic and ginger powder, crushed coriander (only a handful so as not to over power the fish), a splash of fish sauce, chilli powder and a good squeeze of lemon juice. I then wrapped the fish in some foil and set in the oven for 20mins.

To go with these, I've got some beautiful pak choi. I've just slightly pan fried these leaves whole along with some quartered brussel sprouts. Also, not wanting to waste the heat of the oven, I've cut some aubergine up and bunged them and a few cherry tomatoes in with the fish. Now I'm not one for fussy food, but every so often I like to assemble and the sautéed pak choi, brussel sprouts and oven roasted aubergine and tomatoes stack really well and look fantastic against the splendour of the fish unveiling. 

It really is like opening a present when you open up that fish parcel. The aromas hit you and I can guarantee serious mouth watering, but nothing will compare to the feeling of that fish just melting in your mouth. That is what you call Parcel Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment