Tuesday 27 March 2012

Chicken Tikkle


OK, I'm still down and out with the cold, but massively felt like having a good ol' Indian today. I know heading out to a restaurant is not going to do me any good and the idea of getting a take-away from one of our local's fills me with the dread of getting a (excuse my french) runny tummy- so I decided to DIY me a Tikka.

My mum has always encouraged me and my brother to try anything in the kitchen. When we were younger, we would ask for all kinds of things and my mum always gave it a go. More fantastically, she never let on that she sometimes really didn't have a clue about what she was doing but more often than not, the results were brilliant. My mum's always said that Chicken Tikka was very easy to make, but my goodness was she right! Here's a recipe for a truly simple Tikka dish. When you think that a standard portion of 5 pieces is about £5- I've managed to do an entire chicken for less than that. Invest in some chilli powder and turmeric, and you can eat 'til the cows come home! (Not really sure that makes sense, but you get my point!)

For the marinade (for one baby chicken):
1. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2. 1 tbsp chilli powder
3. 1 tsp garlic
4. 1 tsp root ginger
5. 2 tbsp yoghurt
6. 1 tsp salt
7. 4 tbsp lemon juice
8. Handful of coriander chopped fine

EXTRA. Now my recipe is for Chicken Tikkle- tickle meaning the extra kick, so if you're after a mild version, leave this step out, but if you don't mind your chicken packing a bit of a punch, then add a tsp of harissa paste. This will add to the colour, and heat!

You can then leave the mixture for about 2hrs, but if you're like me, I head straight to my griddle and got cooking.

Trust me, you'll never buy a sad ready made pastes ever again. Finger lickin' good!

No comments:

Post a Comment